I'll admit it. I'm an inspiration junkie. I research stories about people who accomplish heroic feats against seemingly impossible odds, then proceed to watch the DVD and buy the soundtrack. When the Olympics take place, I'm amazed by the emotional stories about the athletes determination and perseverance playing around the clock. I frequent the self help section in the bookstore and browse titles like "Creative Companion" by Sark, and "It's Not About the Bike" by Lance Armstrong. Above all, I choose to find the silver lining in just about every situation.
I tell you all of this because I believe it's applicable to your business. Photography is a vast sea of possibility, but in order to succeed there are challenges that must be met. Some days, the tide will drag you under, rough you up, and spit you out. When this happens, it helps to have some positive reinforcement to help you get back up, learn from the experience, and do it better the next time. These are just a handful of the resources I draw from.
1) This above all, to thine own self be true - Shakespeare (quote from Hamlet)
If you're gonna succeed, you need to be doing something you love.
2) I Get To - Kristin Armstrong
Refocus your attitude with this simple, yet powerful blog post.
3) Prosperity Pie - SARK
A book that reminds us that if you follow your heart, the money will follow.
4) Terry Fox - A Marathon of Hope
In 1980, he attempted to run across Canada in the Marathon of Hope to raise cancer awareness.
5) Ultra Marathon Man - Dean Karnazes
Ran 50 marathons in 50 days in 50 states. Talk about being motivated.
6) Sean Swarner, Cancer Climber
Climbed Mount Everest, the highest peak in the world with only partial use of his lungs. Sean was the first cancer survivor to accomplish this feat.
7) Facing the Giants - video clip from the movie
A video reminder to always give it your very best.
The title pretty much says it all.
9) It's Not About the Bike by Lance Armstrong
Even if you don't like sports, this book will move you.
10) Some inspiring movies to add to your Netflix queue for a rainy day: Rudy, The Pursuit of Happyness, Cindarella Man, The Blind Side, Four Minutes, Miracle, Running on the Sun, Rocky 1-4, and 6 (skip 5), Chariots of Fire, Remember the Titans, The Natural, Forrest Gump, Apollo 13, A Beautiful Mind.
11) Music: anyone who knows me understands that I am a passionate music lover. This is in no way a complete list, but just a sample to get you started. St. Elmos Fire by John Parr, Defying Gravity from the Wicked Soundtrack, Lose Yourself by Eminem, Take On Me by Aha, Don't Stop Believing (try the Glee Cast version), Surfing on a Rocket by Air, Poised and Ready by Brendan Benson, Clocks by Coldplay, My Own Summer by the Deftones, Let it Die by the Foo Fighters, You Raise Me Up by Josh Groban, Here It Goes Again by OK GO, Freedom by Rage Against the Machine, Toxicity by System of a Down, I Won't Back Down by Tom Petty, This is Such a Pity by Weezer, Optimistic by Radiohead, Break My Stride by Matthew Wilder, Till I Collapse by Eminem, You Gotta Be by Des Ree
I know it's a lot of info, so feel free to bookmark the page and come back when you feel like your tank is running low. I'm curious to hear your feedback. If there's anything in here you find helpful, please let me know.